Re: [xml-dev] "Introducing MicroXML, Part 1: Explore the basic principlesof MicroXML"

On 25/06/2012 16:10, Rushforth, Peter wrote:

>> Why _would_ you expect them to be underlined if the xml is not
>> being rendered? I certainly would not. If you send unknown xml to
>> a browser it is not styled _at all_ Why would you expect links to
>> work as links if headings are not working as headings and
>> paragraphs are not working as paragraphs?
>
> The XML is being rendered.  It displays as nice syntax coloured,
> indented XML.

Unknown XML gets pushed through a default XSL stylesheet that shows the
_markup_ as such you would not expect links to act as links. This is a
act as links if the markup is being interpreted not if the _markup_ is
being displayed.

> Regardless of what the elements are, what namespace they're in, what
> encoding the document is in.  OK, I don't *know* all these things to
> be true, because I have not written any browser code, but I've
> witnessed it.  And so far my experience holds for application/xml,
> but not for any +xml media type.  So those browser guys can only be
> pushed so far, apparently.
>

>> If you associate a stylesheet with the xml via xml-stylesheet or
>> another means then you can make paragraphs be rendered as
>> paragraphs and make links be underlined. (If you use css rather
>> than xsl I think you still can't make the links be links but
>> that's an issue for css)

> No, I don't think it is a CSS issue.  It is the fact that the links
> aren't recognized by the browser parser.  I think!.

It isn't a browser parser it's a browser supplied XSLT (at least it is
in IE (which did this first) and Firefox. So actually it could show
anything (since the output if an XSLT stylesheet needn't be particularly
related to its input).

In firefox you can see the default stylesheet by following

chrome://global/content/xml/XMLPrettyPrint.xsl

I would guess you could get it to use a different default styling if you
wish.

David