Re: [xml-dev] newline/form feed valid as attribute value?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 23:27:23 +0200, Dan Shelton wrote:
>> ([^><]+)            # xml text
>>
>> isn't right either as > is allowed in xml text.
>
> Do you have an example xml fragment for that? I can't imagine that
> <atag>></atag> can be valid. libxml2 at least chokes on that.

<doc>
  <expression>if x > 0</expression>
</doc>

"well-formed", not valid/invalid.  In XML, the distinction is
significant.

<atag>></atag> is also well-formed, so if libxml2 won't accept it,
someone should open a defect report.

On the other hand, this:

<atag>]]></atag> is *not* well-formed (but, umm, good luck writing a
regex that makes it ill-formed, while allowing <![CDATA[<atag>example
of ill-formedness</btag>]]>, which is perfectly well-formed.

Argue that they're corner cases, perhaps.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
I don't know that I ever wanted greatness, on its own.  It seems rather