Re: [xml-dev] "Introducing MicroXML, Part 1: Explore the basicprinciples of ...

David Lee scripsit:

> Is there really such a dearth of full XML processors that MicroXML
> has value over simply coding to simpler XML by convention ?

No, of course not.  It's the Really Simple Data Model that makes MicroXML
interesting, which is why I resist any attempts to complicate it, with the
possible exception of PIs in a very limited way.  Everything is an element,
and an element has a map from attribute names to values and a sequence
including elements or strings or both.

> Noone is making you use the full (and ugly?) breath of XML in your
> documents - and (IMHO) Unlike SGML, there is a *plethora* of full XML
> parsers and processors available, yea even in the Browser.

Right.  But unless you are usiung a complete XML stack (XQuery/XSLT and
XML database), eventually you have to bind your XML to some third-generation
language, and that's where full XML is a big pain.  The Really Simple Data
Model is really easy to work with.

> "Why not just use XML ?"  Or for that matter, JSON.  What is the value
> add of a *new* standard.

If JSON is sufficient, use it.  If not, MicroXML provides a data model
simpler than JSON's but compatible with full XML.

--
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes    John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
of a creatific thinkerizer.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan