Re: [xml-dev] Re: [docbook-apps] Small!! Lightweight!! xsltprocessor which is standalone!! and runs Docbook/XSL stylesheets?

On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 00:44 +0200, ольга крыжановская wrote:
>  it would be at least nice to think
> about it, and look for improvements,

In terms of improving memory usage, I agree (although I stand by me
earlier statement that one should also try XSLT 2 implementations if
they might make sense in one's environment).

> Finally, IMO a light version of xslt processing would be *very*
> welcome.

xt used to be fairly lightweight.

In principle one could also write nroff macros (especially if you have
groff available) to process text that's been converted from docbook very
minimally, e.g. with a SAX parser or (if the XML was packaged already
and known to be well-formed) even sed.

>  The xsltproc processor, with dependencies, is as
> large as a whole POSIX/Unix environment for Windows, sans X11 of
> course. This feels wrong.

That does seem a bit odd, depending on what's included in the POSIX/Unix
distribution -- V6 Unix was pretty small too :-) (but not entirely POSIX
compliant), and one doesn't need to distribute a C compiler for basic
POSIX conformance.

Here, I get (with sizes in bytes):
$ urpmq  --requires-recursive xsltproc | while read p; do echo -n "$p ";
rpm -q --queryformat '%{SIZE}\n' $p; done | awk '{print; t += $2} END
{ print t}'

bash 3136683
dash-static 112538
glibc 24862226
lib64gcrypt11 575228
lib64gpg-error0 14288
lib64pth20 98152
lib64termcap2 14536
lib64uClibc0.9.30.3 576368
lib64xml2_2 1393152
lib64xslt1 380539
lib64zlib1 282188
libgpg-error-common 150451
multiarch-utils 12031
perl-File-Sync 13607
perl-MDK-Common 124467
perl-base 3052855
uClibc 65690
xsltproc 25956
34890955

So libxml itself is 1.3 megabytes -- and checking the two files
included, that seems correct -- but xsltproc brings in a total
(including itself) of about 33 MBytes via dependencies.

Most Linux distributions are likely to have bash and glibc already; a
Posix environment could for sure have a smaller shell and libc though.
Perl brings in only about 3 MBytes, less than I expected.

Did I miss something?

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition, "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012