Re: [xml-dev] namespaces redux

> As much as I agree with you about the evil of QNames in content, I
> don't really think it was the job of the Namespaces in XML spec to
> prevent this.

It was absolutely the job of the Namespaces in XML spec to get this
right, and it failed dismally. Firstly, it got the layering wrong:
naming is fundamental and can't be layered on top of the core as if it
were an application. Secondly, it refused to describe an object model,
and thus failed to make it clear whether prefixes were
information-bearing or not (rather as XML itself failed to make it clear
whether CDATA boundaries are information-bearing).

Michael Kay
Saxonica