Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema Checklist

At 2012-10-20 11:23 -0300, Timothy Cook wrote:
>Hi Ken (and Roger),
>
>On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM, G. Ken Holman
><gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com> wrote:
> >
> > You are mixing the concept of the XML version with the XSD version.
> >

>Okay, I just went back and re-read, "1.3.4 Schema Language Identifiers"
>
>I understand that my schema is expressed as an XML Document in the XML
>language.  Correct?  ... and that is (almost) always in version XML
>version 1.0

Yes, you would only use XML version 1.1 when you need features of XML
version 1.1, as Roger did with his characters not defined by XML
version 1.0.  When such 1.1 features are not required in the XML
document (regardless of how the XML document is being used, as data
or as a schema expression), then version 1.0 "SHOULD" be declared
(and I feel "MUST" be declared, but that is a personal opinion).

>I guess my mistake has been not realizing what 1.3.4 says.
>
>Even though xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";  works.  I
>should be using xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema/v1.1"; to
>specify that my schemas contain XML Schema 1.1 specific functionality.
>  Is this correct?

I think not.  Section 1.3.4 is not about namespace bindings, it is
about identifiers of the semantics of the schema language for use by
APIs that need to talk about specific versions of W3C Schema.

Nowhere have I seen the version-specific URI strings used in a
namespace binding for an actual schema expression.

Note *all* the examples in the following section regarding the schema
as a whole use only the version agnostic URI for the namespace binding:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-xmlschema11-1-20120405/#Schemas

And *every* use of the xs: prefix is mapped to the version-agnostic URI:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-xmlschema11-1-20120405/#ns-bindings

And, normatively, section 1.3.1.1 unambiguously states that the
version-agnostic URI shall be used:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-xmlschema11-1-20120405/#xsd-namespace

So I do not see any interpretation of the specification that would
allow what you ask.

I hope this is helpful.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/