Re: [xml-dev] provocations and realities (was Re: Fwd: [xml-dev]Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML)

[Sorry this is missing context - some prior exchanges were offlist, and
seemed meant to be offlist. It seems to have bounced on and off, the
worst possible case.]

On 4/8/13 5:16 PM, Fraser Goffin wrote:
> As I've already said .. No they aren't precious at all. That doesn't
> mean I dismiss them out of hand though.

I'm merely impressed by your tenacity.

>> testing character encoding is pretty ordinary.
>
> Really, you obviously work with a different calibre of developer than
> most of us then (ever had you outsourced resources try and explain
> endian-ness and character encoding) ?

I don't think I work with ninjas, or eat lunch with them at conferences.
  Handling text is a non-trivial problem, as I just learned again by
working with a language originally meant for telephone switching.

However, character encodings are far from impossible to detect,
especially if you're willing to de-automate your process just slightly
and ask a human when you can only narrow the options down to a group
rather than a single choice.

> Perhaps you should just put your ideas down and let us all see clearly
> what you value so highly.

Paper.  Balisage.  Was up writing at 2am.  I don't think they'll love me
if I post it beforehand, but we'll see.  It would help to finish writing
it, of course.  (If they don't accept it, I will simply post it, promise!)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/