Re: [xml-dev] XML's greatest cultural advantage over JSON

Mmmm.

XML adoption into other technologies (the ones typically paid
for in moderate or 'expensive' license fees, etc and used by
enterprises with the will to invest and consciousness of a likely
ROI) like RDBMSs was well championed by the sellers of
those technologies. It seems to me that browsers didn't have
such sellers who could adequately champion the adoption of
XML since they couldn't themselves see an ROI and couldn't
easily pass on the cost of the adoption. I don't think they would
have found the issues like 'hypermedia affordances' at all
insurmountable if they'd had the will or potential ROI to invest
in getting such things fixed. Afterall it was the like of MS who
invested in getting AJAX up and running and ensuring XML
was adequately specified by adopting early and providing the
contributions and feedback to the W3C XML WG(s) - along
with Sun and others who had big customers paying large sums.
Mere browsers didn't give such good returns perhaps so even
MS might have not put so much welly into getting the likes of
'XML islands' supported more widely (IMHO).

----
Stephen D Green