Re: [xml-dev] Transformative Programming: Flow-based, functional, and more

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:
I think we've got a little mixture of concerns going on here.

I agree, and I think the discussion has honestly rather spent itself.

I'd expect one can describe some form of (2D or more?) continuum from tuples to DCS/COBRA and if you did so, REST would be sitting far closer to the simple tuple origin than the other. However, REST is an architecture for data exchange/manipulation, tuples are a formal mathematical model. Even at the REST resource level I'd be hard pressed to apply the tuple description to the resources unless you want to regard them as purely opaque blobs? I actually like that view of the REST resources (since, as you point out it allows for loose coupling), but it  denies the reality that the utility of REST comes from the fact that the parties do in fact have expectations as to the contents of the resources and the HTTP headers and MIME types shape those expectations.

This is where I think you swerve off the road. Of course at some point there is an understanding. Tight vs loose coupling is independent of has nothing to do with that, and frankly it's so trivial that I'm not sure why it has come up. The point is *when* the collaborating systems come about the understanding. Loose coupling, including REST is about late binding. The very headers and media types you mention are to *ensure* loose coupling, including via the handshake of content negotiation. That is *not* schema-first interaction, which is tight coupling.

 If I claim to be delivering you XML and you actually get JSON the loose coupling is now a bug, not a feature.  (Though SImon seems to imply I should just go ahead and figure out what parser to use and cope with it anyway... ;-)

I've had enough speaking for Simon for a week, but I will note you seem to come up with some extraordinarily odd paraphrases of what people actually say. I don't think that helps bring this conversation any value, so I think I'm also done on this subthread.

--
Uche Ogbuji                                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira                  http://zepheira.com