Re: [xml-dev] Standards and Antitrust

On 11/16/13 5:31 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
The theory has nothing to do with TimBL's personal status. There is a
long history of voluntary trade associations making standards
affecting their industry, and in some cases governments making
compliance to these standards mandatory, without violation of
anti-trust or competition law.

IEEE offers guidance to members of standards activities here:

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/policies/antitrust.pdf
Yes, but the W3C's structure goes way beyond the IEEE. The IEEE is a not-for-profit corporation chartered in New York State. The W3C is an agreement between its core institutions that supports a membership structure and employees.

In the end, it basically collapses down to TimBL for better or worse.

I've never thought that was an appealing approach, but then I've never found a standards organizations whose rules were worth the electrons or paper used to distribute them.

I asked a standards organizations panel at Balisage a few years ago why none of them could enforce the processes that theoretically justified their existence, and basically got back "it's complicated." They just don't.

I get that on good days they create substantial value, but I'd be much happier to see them replaced by structures that enforce transparency and have teeth to deal with participants' constant efforts to game them.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/