Re: [xml-dev] "The syntax view" was Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Re: [xml-dev]Lessons learned from the XML experiment

Hi Simon,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> My interest in markup is not purely technological, but rather about markup's
> being an almost unique intersection of humans and computers. Markup is a set
> of tools that lets humans gets directly in the information flow.  Computers
> are certainly still involved, but their role is minimized to the extent
> possible.

I think I understand your perspective.  Except, possibly what you
intend to mean regarding 'information flow'.  Am I correct in that
this is in regards from one person to another person via computerized
text?

So, if I am correct in seeing your perspective that the purpose of XML
(in your perspective) is to delineate (markup?) textual content into
sections?  Also, that XML in its current and probable future state can
do this for you in the way that you choose to use it?

Can you *PLEASE* tell me how the fact that XML has other components
that addresses other uses cases outside your own use case, harms you
or your work in any way?

IOW: If you are not forced to use XSD or namespaces to accomplish your
goals with XML.  Why are yo u so adamantly against them when they are
useful to other people in different use cases.

I have asked questions on this list about XML technologies that are
specified and are in common use across domains.  Hoping to get answers
from people with more experience in XML.  Like you, I know my domain.
I can make the decision whether or not XML technologies are a good
fit, if I can get technological NOT philosophical answers.

Thank you,
Tim

--
MLHIM VIP Signup: http://goo.gl/22B0U
Timothy Cook, MSc           +55 21 94711995