Re: [xml-dev] How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable efficient application processing?

In those terms, what I am saying is that the N+M idea, that of using a blue sky schema or module, or standard vocabulary can be ruinous.

People assume that a common interchange format is efficient: but the efficiency van evaporate if the intermediate format is far from both inputs and outputs. Pairing the n+n=fun idea with  the 'just model the data' approach is a recipe for creating wasted effort.

In the Cals table example I gave before, you only really need an identity transform: adopting  a very different interchange format (the example was rdf)  *blows out* the behaviour *to* N+M: that is not a victory but a defeat

Cheers
Rick