RE: AW: [xml-dev] RFC for XML Object Parsing

Gareth,

I focus mostly on database updates/queries in XML representation, the "oid" equals the DBMS index.  For example - generally a column called "CustomerID" contains the value of the "oid"

<Customer oid='1'>
      <CustomerID>1</CustomerID>
</Customer>

The "oid" == the DBMS Index.  Just as a DBMS index can be keyed over multiple columns - likewise the "oid" can be a concatenation of several columns that make it the key unique.  Something like an application Config file would most likely never use an "oid".  Many XML Documents, unless they are indexed in by a DBMS would not be candidate for "oid" use.

Brian