Re: [xml-dev] Re: [xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the designof XQuery 3.1

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Jim Melton <jim.melton@oracle.com> wrote:
In passing, I would like to observe that the title of the W3C Working Group being discussed is "XML Query Working Group" and the charter of that WG speaks of developing a query language for XML.  In fact, the language developed by the WG is called "XQuery: An XML Query Language".  While the WG, and its participants, understand the importance of JSON and have as a goal integration of support for querying XML data along with JSON data, the name and charter of the WG have not been changed to "JSON Query WG".

Might that be because JSON (for all intents and purposes) did not exist  at the inception of the WG.

I mean it's not called the SQL Query WG either but the WG did have SQL as a reference point because relational data formats were around and relevant at the time.

So ......

That said I do empathise with both sides of this argument.