Re: [xml-dev] A question of necessity

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 09:55:45 -0700, James Bryce Clark OASIS
<jamie.clark@oasis-open.org> wrote:

| Personal opinions only:
| *  There certainly is such a thing as namespaces.

Sure.  It's a wide field.

| *  That device was overused and misused in some XML practices, but
|    those outcomes do not disprove its utility in some other cases.

Colonified names or namespaces?  Are you yet another who equates the
two?

| *  As it (maybe) becomes more clear that the sweet spot of XML is
|    in certain use cases (e.g. complex content), but not others (e.g.
|    early-2000s middleware messages), perhaps the overcomplexity bad
|    rap will dissipate.

I'm still quite unconvinced that the complexity of colonified names
has been at all "necessary" anywhere.  The bad rap is well deserved
and will remain.