Re: [xml-dev] Implement data rules in application code?

Ahh, Peter. Even better than my favorite example, one
of many possible encodings:

<surname initials="T">Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa, de</surname>
<given-names initials="H">Henri Marie Raymond</given-names>

—Debbie

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>
> So JATS would adequately cope with Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache?
>
> An omission in most element or field structures I have seen is any indication of which name you are conventionally addressed by (or your preference).
>
> I use my middle name (for irrelevant historical family reasons); Inspector Morse used his surname. The one thing we can be dogmatic about is that making assumptions into rules is always wrong 😃
>
> Peter
>

> On 12 April 2017 16:48:27 dal <dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com> wrote:
>
>> The JATS XML vocabulary for journal articles does a few things
>> correctly:
>>
>> - A person does not need to have a <surname>, they can
>>   have only <given-names> as folks may do in Indonesia.
>>
>> - A person can have multiple <surname>s (partronymic etc.)
>>
>>  - The <given-names> element can also repeat, so you can
>>    put all your given names into one “Kenneth Pritchard Carnu”
>>    or split them up into 3 <given-names> elements.
>>
>> Good for flexible tagging and not so good for consistency of
>> tagging.
>>
>> —Debbie
>>
>> P.S. My great-uncle was assigned the middle name “None” during
>> that same war.
>>
>> —dal

>>> My father, who did not have a middle name, told me that (in World War II), when he was in the U.S Army, that his service records listed his middle name as "NMN" (No Middle Name).

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron