   RE: URIs as IDs in ModSAX (was Re: ModSAX (SAX 1.1) Proposal) (fwd)

  • From: Ron Daniel <RDaniel@DATAFUSION.net>
  • To: "'David Megginson'" <david@megginson.com>, XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:58:56 -0800

David is mostly correct when he says that there are no standards
for making URNs from ISBNs, UUIDs, etc. However, there is actually
some pretty good indication of what those standards will look like.

ISBNS (and a couple of other bibliographic identifiers) as URNs are
described in the RFC 2288, "Using Existing Bibliographic
Identifiers as Uniform Resource Names"
http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2288.txt
Caveats: that is an informational RFC, not a standards-track one,
although there is a desire to standardize the URN encoding of such
identifiers. The question surrounding the ISBNs is whether the namespace
should be 'isbn' or if ISO might want to use something else. (Truth in
advertising disclosure - I'm a co-author of that document).

Of more interest to the discussion in this group is the prospect of
using UUIDs (or GUIDs) as identifiers. (UUIDs and GUIDs are described
in the now-expired Internet-draft
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt
)
A uuid: URI scheme is proposed in another expired draft:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kindel-uuid-uri-00.txt
Although I can't turn it up right now, I've seen a fair number of
   urn:guid:ugly-guid-string-here
style identifiers. Those seem unlikely to change.

The real bottleneck in URN schemes is in the registry for URN
namespaces.
I've not been keeping up with that, but the last time I checked they
were
specifying the info that had to be provided when registering a
namespace.
The assumption was that IANA would run the registry similar to the
media types registry.

Regards,
Ron Daniel

(un)subscribe xml-dev