   XML DTD vs. XML-Data

  • From: "Tiago Moitinho de Almeida" <tma@chiron.pt>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:13:29 -0000

I am developing an application for editing and validating formal metadata
documents, which is XML-based.
The metadata documents follow a structure which is represented by a DTD.
The application is DTD-deriven. It should work with any valid DTD, so it does
not depend on a specific DTD.

1.
Two important issues about the validation are:
- data type checking (ex: the content of <date> tags should have a valid date
format)
- validity domains  (ex: for the content of <primary_colour> I should only
accept "blue", "red" or "green").

As far as I undertand, XML-Data provides solution for the 1st issue, and I can
work arround it in a DTD using a #FIXED attribute for those element
declarations.

However, I donīt see how XML-data or XML DTD provide information to meet the 2nd
issue.

2.
2 questions about XML DTD's and XML-Data:
- Can I use DTD to do everything that XML-Data does?
- Using XML-Data, can I somehow get rid of XML DTD's?

Thanks.

Tiago Moitinho, Lisbon, Portugal
tma@chiron.pt

(un)subscribe xml-dev