   RE: CV/Resume

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>, "'msergeant@ndirect.co.uk'" <msergeant@ndirect.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:12:07 -0000

Matthew Sergeant wrote:
> A couple of things to be aware of are that US Resume's can be quite
> different to UK ones. I found this out when designing my DTD.
> If you want my
> DTD (it's publicly available under the Artistic licence - so
> feel free to
> modify it and send back changes) mail me at
> msergeant@ndirect.co.uk as it's
> at home and I'm at work ATM.

Would definitely like a look.

> One thing I don't have is any sort of style sheet built yet,
> but I do have
> in progress a CGI (well, mod_perl really) script for editing
> CV's online.

We have a general tool that we use for our clients that uses JavaScript
to traverse a tree and at each node you can add more nodes, edit the
current one or delete. Each node is in the database and is exported as
XML - so as far as data entry goes that's covered.

> Unfortunately I don't have a scriptable web site so I can't
> demo it. When
> it's complete it will be free though.

I'm planning the same (free that is). I also thought a cute little side
effect would be to use the vCard standard and we could all pass our
business cards to each other using a URL with XSL like syntax, like:

	http://www.somevcardlikename.com/vcard[id=32]

on the end of our emails. So rather than passing their actual details,
you pass a pointer to your details. Any comments?

(And *another* cute spin-off is that people could get therefore create
their own namespace URI, as discussed in some previous threads.)

Anyway, the aim is still to produce a site that 'runs itself' so if you
have any other features it should have, feel free to mention them.

Regards,

Mark Birbeck
Managing Director
Intra Extra Digital Ltd.