   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:26:54 -0800

Ken MacLeod wrote:

> In several cases I would prefer internalEntityReference() and
> externalEntityReference() event handlers that simply report the
> reference but do not resolve the reference, or that call back the
> parser to further resolve them.

Using a single unSkippedEntity (String name) call, you tell them apart
if you track their entity declarations (with a DeclHandler).  Is that
level of work OK for you?

On the other hand, the XHTML spec had words (I seem to recall) that
conformant user agents must be rendering unknown entity refs in their
literal form &like-this; ... which raises some other issues, if SAX2
subsystems are going to be able to drive such user agents.

- Dave