   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 25 Feb 2000 14:38:02 -0600

David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> writes:

> Ken MacLeod wrote:
> >
> > In several cases I would prefer internalEntityReference() and
> > externalEntityReference() event handlers that simply report the
> > reference but do not resolve the reference, or that call back the
> > parser to further resolve them.
>
> Using a single unSkippedEntity (String name) call, you tell them apart
> if you track their entity declarations (with a DeclHandler).  Is that
> level of work OK for you?

Do you mean skippedEntity()?

Yes, I'm OK with using entity declarations (DeclHandler) to
distinguish internal and external entities.

What I mean is that I'd rather have an entityReference() handler than
{start, end}Entity() handlers.

There's some issues with the processing model though.  There would
probably need to be a mode feature where either entityReference() is
called or entities are resolved.  More difficult, if a handler wanted
to know _both_ the entity reference and the resolved content (which is
probably where {start, end}Entity() is proposed).

Entities in attributes is a whole 'nother can of worms.

  -- Ken