   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: Michael Fuller <msf@io.mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:18:39 +1100

I wrote:
> Personally, I would have advocated folding this sort of functionality
> into the new ContentHandler; I never pushed that because it doesn't seem
> to be what the consensus wants. However, to be dropping or even just
> delaying the LexicalHandler really concerns me.

Having just spent the afternoon roaming through SAX2, let me rephrase that:

    It's probably far too late, but would it be sily late to ask that:

	 public class XMLFilterImpl
	 extends java.lang.Object
	 implements XMLFilter, EntityResolver, DTDHandler,
	 ContentHandler, ErrorHandler

    be extended to also implement LexicalHandler and DeclHandler?
    (XMLFilterImpl implements _all_ other SAX2 event generating classes;
    there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason to omit the remaining two.)

That would leave DefaultHandler as the simpler default implementation/base
class for applications, while providing an integrated class that covers all of
SAX2 for those pseudo-parser applications that require the full interface.

(Yep; that's what I thought. Too late.)

Michael