   Re: SAX2 Event Sequence [Was: Re: SAX2: relative ordering ofstartDocumen

  • From: Michael Fuller <msf@io.mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:52:08 +1100

Thanks for the corrections, David; folded in at:
    http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~msf/misc/SAXEvents.html

DavidB> I have a few questions/comments:

DavidB> - It's established (yes?) that everything outside the
DavidB>   DTDEvents will be in lexical order.  Is that also required to
DavidB>   be true for DTD events?  (I got no answer when I asked this
DavidB>   question before.  Near as I can tell nobody else has
DavidB>   implemented LexicalHandler/DeclHandler, so nobody else has
DavidB>   needed to care.)

I'm not sure if that's the case. I've partially wrapped SP and (without
actually checking ;-), I've got a funny feeling that it may not always
report DTD events in lexical order. Regardless, given that a DTD is loosely
unordered (other than needing to define entities before their use), is there
any useful reason to constrain parsers to a lexical ordering of DTD events?

DavidB> - There's a missing "setDocumentLocator" call [...]
DavidB> - One "ElementEvents" at the document level is mandatory, [...]
DavidB> - This shows only the clean "no error" case. [...]

Ta.

DavidB>   HOWEVER I would flag resolveEntity calls [...]

Agreed.

DavidB> [...] it may not be realistic to expect that the prefix mappings
DavidB> be perfectly nested [...]

Agreed.

DavidB> Also, I was under the understanding that startEntity/endEntity
DavidB> would not appear within DTDEvents ...

Ah, you're right, I think.  'startEntity()' is defined as:
    "Report the beginning of an entity in content."
(fix applied.)

I guess "in content" actually means "in element content";
if so, that excludes its occurrence w/i DTD events.

Question: is there reason to restrict startEntity()/endEntity() to document
content use only, or would it be useful to allow parsers to (optionally)
report them w/i DTD content? Not a very important issue, I admit; I suspect
that most current parsers don't do this, so probably better to leave things
as they are.

DavidB> (And the PE example should use '%foo.flag;' ... ;-)

Ta.

Michael