   expanding parameters in DTDs

  • From: Tony O'Keeffe <tony.okeeffe@trintech.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 14:45:09 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool or a piece of freeware that'll expand all the
parameter references in a DTD.

For modularity and reusability, several common elements, element lists and
attributes lists have been declared as entities in an external file. This
file is referenced from the DTD so that the entities contained therein can
be used in the DTD. However, it does make the DTD a little less readable,
especially for customers and I'd like to be able to use something over the
DTD-with-references that'll produce a standalone DTD-without-references. Any
ideas? Thanks in advance.

e.g. from this...
<!ENTITY % MyEntities SYSTEM "myentitities.ent">
%MyEntities;
<!ELEMENT %ThisElement; (%ThatElement;, %TheOtherElement;)>
to something like this...
<!ELEMENT TheRealThisElement (TheRealThatElement, TheRealOtherElement)>
<!ELEMENT TheRealThatElement (...)>
<!ELEMENT TheRealTheOtherElement (...)>

Regards,

Tony