   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: Anthony Channing <AnthonyC@101Ltd.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:24:22 +0100

Oops!  I accidentally hit 'reply to sender' instead of 'reply to all'...
Sorry Mike...
(I also did it with the next post which I sent to Len, sorry about this,
I'm tired, I'm changing jobs, and a long overdue two week holiday
is just three days away... ;-)

Anton

-------------------------

Well, my personal thoughts on this matter may well be too radical,
but then I am a self proclaimed anarchic-libertarian-individualist-agnostic,
so I suppose that might not be too surprising.

From my perspective it seems that a trend away from socio-moralistic
'authority' structures is occurring with the shift going in favour of new
'consumer driven' structures.  In general terms this shows a general
world shift in power from government/political/religious lead organisations
(ie UN, G7, NATO) towards business lead organisations (IMF, World Bank).
The possitive side of this is that the majority of companies are less
inclined to war and try to discourage it.  On the downside they have
a very fragmented and unresponsible attitude towards environmental
and resource management.

In our case we see a move from ISO to W3C (Sorry if I'm over simplifying,
this always happens when trying to look at the wider world context).
What this means is that we see a shift from authority lead development
to corporate lead.  We see greater innovation at a faster rate, but at
a cost of ignoring wider social implications and getting locked into a
cycle that aims at the short-term self preservation of the leading
companies.

Rather than looking back to the 'safety' of the known (ISO), or expecting to
be able to get a desirable response from the new despot(W3C) to our
rapidly evolving needs, a better approach might be to begin thinking what
kind of organisation can superseed the company model (note, just as
companies still need the foundation of government, this new model may
well still require (and probably will) the foundation of corporations.

What would the nature of such a radical structure be?  How would it
fund its activities?  Perhaps a good subject for debate.  How would
it remain as accountable as some would like.  I don't have answers
for these, nor the right experience to think of details.  Maybe models
like this very list, free software foundation etc are worth consideration.
A website and a mailing list.

Dunno, is what I'm suggesting really that radical, seems like the
next logical step to me... But first we need to thing of how to acheive
it.  OASIS, IETF, W3C, ISO all perform their useful roles, to do
something new we're probably better off  with a new vehicle, rather
than trying to change the momentum of others...

Anton
101 Media Ltd
Marketing Your Web Site - A seminar by 101 Media.
Barnham Broom Hotel Tuesday 16th November 2000 9.30am - 12.30pm
for further details and to book on-line please visit:
http://www.101ltd.com/Seminar/Default.asp