Re: Use cases [was: How could RDDL be distributed ?]

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 04:45:12PM +0100, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> 1) Network optimization and reliability.
>
> Need to avoid that the servers for the most commonly used namespaces
> become hot spots and we need to make sure we can still process documents
> if/when one of them stops working.

Yes. This is the core use case for the URI resolution stuff.

> 2) Occasionaly connected users.
>
> Need to be able to process documents when we are off line.
>
> Possible solutions:
>   - URI resolution servers with controlable cache
>   - local xmlcat
>   - Run time (API) definition of alternate locations
>     (could rely on xmlcat...)

I would add a c15n type solution here. We don't have a protocol
but its a fairly simple idea....

> 3) Untrusted documents.
>
> Need to be able to supply alternate locations without modifying a
> document in order to process it with our own set of resources.
>
> Possible solutions:
>   - setup of specific URI resolution servers
>   - local xmlcat
>   - Run time (API) definition of alternate locations
>     (could rely on xmlcat...)

Same c15n solution as #2. Essentially #2 and #3 are the same
functionally. The only difference being the actual reason why
you would be using some other copy instead of the authoritative one.

> 4) Additional customization of vocabularies.
>
> Need to supply alternate locations for documents we are authoring to use
> a specific set of resources.
>
> Possible solutions:
>   - setup of specific URI resolution servers
>   - local xmlcat
>   - Definition of alternate locations within instance documents.

Hmmm... seems to be the same as 2 and 3 to me. I.e. you end up
doing the same thing except that the reason for doing it changes...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com