RE: And the DTD says, "I'm NOT dead yet!!"

That is the conclusion one comes to actually.  It
isn;t so much self-referentialism, but that the
XML Schema is a vocabulary for building a vocabulary
by definition.

So we bootstrap up from a DTD and then we can,
as we choose to, forget about them.  That is
quite a different issue then a directive to forget.
One might (and some have) produce
yetAnotherVocabularyVocabulary.

Again, meaning is a choice of means.  Somewhere
way back there, I understood markup as a means
to conserve the choice of authorities.  So keep
the DTD and by appeal to ISO, keep the W3C in
check.

Otherwise, we can choose among haikus.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety