XML and embedded systems

(long note warning)

I’m a newbie to the XML world.  I have a problem I’m hoping others may have
seen and may have suggestions on:

I have an embedded system that I’ll need to communicate data to and from a
client.  Generally, the client will make a request and the server will
respond, i.e. with data, success/failure, etc.

In  particular, the client will need to be able to get and set some
parameters on the system.  Some of the items are fairly complicated
structures or lists, while others are simple strings.  The list of items
that the system needs configuration for will vary based upon what the device
is installed into.  In addition, over time, the device may evolve additional
function requiring new or changed parameters.   The connection to it will be
TCP/IP but of limited bandwidth and only directly to/from the client.

This system will have a JVM and HTTP server available.  Adding something
like Java servlet capabilities is a possibility.  XML came to mind as a way
to communicate this data since its flexible, has rich toolsets available in
multiple languages, and can communicate data layout as a part of the
payload.   It could even be used to have the device tell what items it
supports and how.  This device doesn’t necessarily have to present an HTML
interface for configuration, though it could.  There will be two principal
clients – the manufacturer of this device (who wants to set it up in
quantity) and the service center that uses this device (who wants to
periodically change some device parameters on individual devices).  Both of
these environments place a higher value on a client-side programmatic
interface rather than a user interface as they usually wish to minimize user
typing when dealing with the device.  The client could for example generate
and consume the XML directly, or use supplied libraries to produce/consume
the XML.

Has anyone dealt with this before?  My current thinking is to keep it simple
and use my own XML grammar – XML at its simplest, so to speak.  One way I
thought of would be to transmit the XML via HTTP by using a POST transaction
and placing the entity in the HTTP message body, then respond with XML.  Or
I could do something simpler and simply send an XML-encoded request over a
socket and respond using XML.

I’ve looked at some of the many technologies invented for XML, but most of
them seem like overkill for this scenario.  There aren’t databases involved,
nor is this going to be an Internet application.

Comments?

Thanks!
Jim Spink