RE: Converting XML to ASCII

At 16:26 26/01/2001 -0600, Mark McClure wrote:
>Thanks for the message!  What I need to do is take an .xml file filled with
>data, such as map coordinates, and strip the tags and format the output to
>comma separated ASCII text file to be imported by another program.  Does
>that make sense?  Thank for taking the time to respond.

It sounds as if you want to get all the textual data from your xml file,
and output it in a given format, rigth ? I think the best way to do this
would be to use XSLt (choose a processor in your favourite
language/toolbox), and write a stylesheet that does that formatting, with
xsl:output='text'.

If you don't need a very specific output format, you could probably just
strip the tags (in fact, anything that isn't a text node) out. That could
be done by writing a small SAX handler. There may well be some freeware out
there that does that. An HTML stripper could probably do pretty much the
same job (perhaps even lynx would work, at least on some simple xml files ?).

-- robin b.
Designing pages in HTML is like having sex in a bathtub. If you don't know
anything about sex, it won't do you any good to know a lot about bathtubs.