Adding types to XPath

I've been following discussions about the plans for XPath 2.0 (and XSLT
2.0) with interest. One thing that concerns me is that in order to
implement XPath 2.0 I have to implement the PSVI, and thus W3C Schemas.

So my feedback on this point from one of the very few XPath implementors
out there would be simply, please don't force that. If you can allow
access to type information via an optional function (e.g. /foo[type(.,
'SomeType')]), that would make an implementor's life a lot easier.

Matt.