Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

At 13:31 01/03/2001 -0800, Steve Muench wrote:
>I (personally, not speaking for the WG here) don't happen to
>be a believer in some kind of look-it-up-and-magically-download-
>the-right-(trusted?)-implementation-from-some-central-website-
>for-the-language-my-processor-can-support-for-the-chip-architecture-
>and-OS-that-I'm-currently-running-(while-I'm-using-this-on-a-plane)
>scheme to download and run the "right" implementation of some function.

Nevertheless, xsl:script allows for precisely that through it's src
attribute. Given that, don't you think that relying on extension namespaces
pointing to an RDDL document containing 1) information on how a human being
can get the extension should he want to do it by hand and 2) a pointer to
implementations of the extension (possibly in several languages so that the
processors can choose the one they know about, or their favoured one)
should the processor be allowed to fetch extensions automatically (possibly
only within a trusted network) is far superior to what xsl:script offers ?

-- robin b.
Immature poets imitate, mature poets steal. -- T.S. Eliot