RE: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

Last week at Guerrilla XML, XSLT was introduced with the phrase, "XSLT makes
simple things hard and hard things simple".  IMHO, it looks like this
xsl:script instruction is being introduced to allow "hooks" to code that can
accomplish those simple things that XSLT makes difficult if not impossible
(I have a hammer, where are the nails?  Wow, those nails are big.  I need a
bigger hammer...).  I can see the MSXML implementation of this now...you'll
be able instantiate .NET objects, use any .NET language...heck, I can see a
scenario where XSLT becomes almost a full-blown .NET language with CLR
integration, etc. etc. etc.

Personally, I want XSLT to be completely platform independent.  This
xsl:script instruction is clearly a step against this especially if the
script code is embedded.  That is why I signed the petition.

J. Keith Wedinger
Senior Software Developer
Sterling Commerce
keith_wedinger@stercomm.com