Re: performance test suite? (was: Re: Using W3C Regular Expressions)

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 05:04:17PM +0100, James Strachan wrote:
> From: "Al B. Snell" <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
> > > I suggest you include a dimension for documents
> > > with single namespaces and multiple namespaces as
> > > well.  Some serious minds think that impacts
> > > parser performance as well and is posed as
> > > part of the RDF-over-XMLSchemas arguments.
> >
> > Really? Ok, I'll put that in too. Thanks!
> >
> > http://love.warhead.org.uk/~alaric/XML-vs-Binary-benchamarks.html
> >
> > (in progress :-)
>
> I've not managed to track the whole text-v-binary discussions -  I find it
> hard to find the time to keep up with xml-dev these days :-(.
> Is your intention to build a performance testing framework to demonstrate
> the performance difference of binary v. text XML parsers?
>
> If so, I've been meaning to investigate the relative performances of a
> variety of SAX parsers (crimson, Xerces1/2, Aelfred), both with and without
> validation along with some other configurations like turning on and off of
> String "interning". Plus I'd like to test the performance of a variety of
> tree object models too such as DOM (crimson, Xerces 1/2), dom4j, Electric,
> JDOM etc.
>
> It might be a good idea to combine our efforts into the same benchmarking
> suite so (say) it would be easy to compare a binary SAX driver fares against
> the best text SAX drivers etc.
>
> My idea was to create a SourceForge project for the benchmark suite.
> Does this seem of interest or am I way off where you're at?

If you are doing this, you should look at the benchmark work done by
XML.com about a year ago.  They had a suite, and some tools and test
docs.  It wasn't the best, but it was a start.

Also, be sure to include expat, the fastest XML parser in the west.  :-)

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dyndns.org/decss

PGP signature