Re: Remote access

On 16 May 2001, Sandra Carney wrote:

>   The problem is that many of the examples I have seen at xml.apache.org
>   and others utilize namespace resources on the internet.  We can't do
>   that because our box must run standalone.  We also cannot rely
>   on something as nebulous as the internet for conducting medical
>   studies.

As has been pointed out, using a URI for a namespace doesn't
mean that you have to retrieve what is at the end of that URI; there
may not be anything there to retrieve, or it may be something that
is of no use to you if it is there.

>   Now, I saw some archived mail from xml.apache.org that says
>   one can create their own EntityResolver for redirecting a reference
>   to, say, a DTD to another DTD.  That is well and good.

You may be interested in the work being done by the OASIS Entity
Resolution Technical Committee, which is nearing completion.
Details are at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/

>   What we would really like to do is use local cached copies of
>   the internet resources.  Is there anyway to do that?  For example,
>   I am thinking of the namespace at 'http://www.w3c.org/1999/xlink'.

Just assume there is nothing there that you need, so there is no
need to cache it, or fetch it, or do anything other than treat the
namespace as a string.

cheers,

Lauren