Question re: unwanted whitespace and html output

Please help! I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to get
the following content to be output correctly:

<content>
    <content-section>
    </content-section>
</content>

***********

Example of my XSL templates used to produce the example output below:

<xsl:template match="text()">
	<xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="b">
		<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

**********

Example of current html output:

... some text <span class="smtext_bold">
exit
, some more text that has a comma ...

Notice that the span tags and following text is on separate lines.

**********

Example of desired output:

... some text <span class="smtext_bold">exit</span>, some more text that
includes a comma...

Notice that I am trying get both span tags and the following apostrophe to
be on the same line.

When the span tags and following comma is on separate lines the word "exit"
and the comma have a display in the browser with space between them (ie,
"exit , " instead of "exit, ").

Any help would truly be appreciated.

Mike Freestone
mikefreestone@hotmail.com