Re: Blueberry is not "closed" (was: Closing Blueberry)

At 4:17 PM +0800 7/23/01, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>Do Blueberry documents require a Blueberry DOM and
>Blueberry SAX handler?  (I.e., ones which ascertain what
>features are used.
>
>That is why I think forget a new version and just make it
>a fix for the new edition, pre-announced.

No, this is clearly a new version of XML. The second edition was the second edition of the *XML specification* but in no way changed the definition of the language. In a few cases, particularly language codes, some (not all) parsers had incorrectly interpreted some confusing parts of the specification. Thus their behavior changed under the 2nd edition.

However, the fact remains: every document that was a well-formed XML 1.0 document was also a well-formed XML 1.0 2nd edition document. Every document that was not a well-formed XML 1.0 document was also not a well-formed XML 1.0 2nd edition document. Ditto for validity.

Blueberry would change the definition of the XML language, not just the specification. While  every document that is a well-formed XML 1.0 document will still be a well-formed Blueberry document, many documents that are not  well-formed XML 1.0 documents will be well-formed Blueberry documents. It would be a bad thing to try to sweep this change under the rug and pretend we always meant to do this.