RE: XML multimedia specs -- help for the bewildered, please?

I would not agree - Direct3D (and DirectX in general) has been
instrumental in allowing Windows to be the dominant gaming OS. And
Microsoft have launch many successful 3D games using that API. If the
XBox succeeds it will be the icing on the cake for them.