Re: Bad News on IE6 XML Support

I'm with you on SVG completely -- as soon as the tools are out I'm in.
Illustrator is already exporting nice static pages, but my designers can't
code the DOM and I won't ask them to learn how to (the SVG interactive
pallete requires strong scripting knowledge). As soon as someone outputs a
visual editor that outputs interactive SVG that is as reliable as Flash, I'm
on board. And I know your answer to that: Someone will, and soon. I've been
watching SVG with keen interest, and am very excited about it. But it's not
production-ready yet, and I can't recommend it to my clients until it is
both reliable at the production level and has an installed user base of more
than about 1% of all users. My clients are bottom-line people, not
experimenters.

In a perfect world, the killer SVG tool will *still* separate content from
presentation. The possibility of edit once, present everywhere is very
appealing to those of us who do a lot of editorial and artistic production.

I actually hope you are right about client-side CSS. I myself have been
using it for years, and wrote an article for Web Techniques back in 97 on
how to do CSS positioning. Oh, look, nobody's really doing it yet. Why? Even
though designing in tables is unnatural and perverse, unless you have the
resources to write lots of browser sniffing routines, it's the only way to
present to a huge population of people who simply don't bother upgrading
their browsers. I don't have the stomach to test my CSS Positioning code in
IE4 for the Mac, or the aforemention Netscape 4, which was little more than
a freely downloadable virus.

I don't need to be convinced about the efficacy of cool technologies. I just
need to see them in a sufficiently installed base of users before I can
recommend them to clients in a time of limited budgets.

I don't think we really disagree here, anyway. I am a strong advocate for
all of this stuff. But the realities of the marketplace dictate my
recommendations, and the reality is that the migration to these technologies
tends to be slow. I'm glad you're trying to speed them up. Hats off.

Chuck White
CEO
The Tumeric Partnership
http://www.tumeric.net
chuck@tumeric.net
Co-Author, Mastering XML, Premium Edition
Sybex Books, May, 2001
http://www.javertising.com