RE: [xml-dev] Geographic Markup Language

GML1 (DTDs) was made obsolete by GML2 which uses the
XML Schema  to define 'geographical' complex types for users
to extend, restrict, ..., and define their own application profiles.

A GML v2 profile that stands out at the moment is DNF (Digital National
Framework),
from Ordnance Survey in the UK, because it is schedule for deployment
this November http://www.ordsvy.gov.uk/dnf/.

I believe that the Open GIS Consortium 'www.opengis.org' is working
on GML3 which will be a harmonization? between GML2,
G-XML (a Japanese geographical format), and SOTF (a
2D, 3D topogically based format).

G-XML -  http://gisclh.dpc.or.jp/gxml/contents-e/history.htm#v2
SOTF - http://www.laser-scan.com/papers/sotf-apr14.htm

Thanks,