Re: [xml-dev] storing XML files

> No need. I just need to write more clearly.
>
> All native XML databases support mixed content and its companion,
> sibling order. What I was referring to was XML-enabled relational
> databases and middleware that use a (data-centric) object-relational
> mapping.
>
> Except for XML-DBMS, these don't support mixed content or storing
> sibling order information in the database (AFAIK). This is for good
> reason -- data centric applications pretty much care about neither.

Classifications are always hard.  I believe that Evan Lenz from XYZFind
did point out
in an article that how physically the data is stored is immaterial.  If it
supports the
popular XML related standards like SAX, DOM, XPath is the question.  I
would
add that it needs to support concepts fundamental to XML like mixed
content and
sibbling order to be labelled a XML database/native XML database or
even XML enabled database (IMO).  Now as Mike Champion points out that
RDMS vendors can support these by storing the document as CLOB or BLOB.
They can even provide query capabilities using text indexing and CLOBs
(Oracle
9i is a case in point).  That is why all these terms in the end will be
used all over the
place and as always the buyer will have to make their decisions based on
what they
are really trying to do.

Soumitra