Re: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

   Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:32:23 -0500
   From: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>

   My take is that the relational data model (like automata theory) is an
   elegant and powerful theory that we should all understand better and apply

I agree strongly.  Anyone working with any kind of database system at
all, and perhaps anyone doing any kind of software work at all, ought
to understand the basic concepts of relational theory.  It contains
powerful ideas whose ramifications apply very widely.

   in our work whenever possible, but is not sufficiently
   understood/implemented/supported to do all the jobs we need to do in Real
   Life.

Yeah.  It's a really important concept, but it's not a panacea, and DBMS's
that are (or purport to be) relational are not the answer to every question.