RE: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

We allow customers to add fields, controls (eg boxes) on those
fields, and set some properties of the control objects.  That
isn't technically difficult.  There are some caveats.  They can
search in these and get them into ad hoc reports.  What they
can't do is add logic.   If they want that, we point them
to a third party report generator such as MS Access or
Crystal Reports.  How:

1.  We have system tables to keep up with customer
extensions so we don't stomp these in the next release.

2.  We provide a report about what they have added and
compare that to new development in case we add features
that overlap their extensions.

You are right about the notes field.  Most handy and an
easy out when a customer asks for a requirement we don't
support.  Also, we use tags in the fields that let us
dump out the memo type (what a notes field is - a varchar),
and use these for different tasks.  One of the most successful
features we've added is to embed the browser object and
use it in combination with the treeview to create dynamic
drill down functionality for involvements (sort of a quasi
xlink record).

So far, I don't find the kind of arguments FB makes
very compelling in the sense that with the tools we
have, it isn't that hard to come up with a solution
using RDB for somethings, XML for somethings, and so
on.  It is really nice to have them all.

len