   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

Marcus Carr wrote:

> Ronald Bourret wrote:
>
> > I think you're missing something. Forcing parser writers to implement
> > namespaces is not the same as forcing document authors to use them.
>
> No, but as long as namespaces not part of the recommendation, as DTD is a viable
> mechanism. As soon as they are part of the recommendation, a DTD is potentially
> incapable of dealing with "vanilla" v1.1 documents. I would have a hard time justifying
> keeping DTDs under those circumstances.

This seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Since both
baby and bathwater are already coexisting in the same (admittedly murky)
pond, I don't see why this would happen. (Have I mixed my metaphors
enough?)

> > The
> > only people who would be hurt by requiring namespace support in XML 1.1
> > are those who (against the advice of the XML 1.0 spec) use colons in
> > element type and attribute names. I'm curious if anybody actually does
> > this.
>
> I can't imagine that they do, but that's not the issue, I don't think.

It's a backwards compatibility issue. Moving namespaces into 1.1 would
be backwards incompatible for those people who use colons in their Names
but don't use namespaces. The question is whether this is just a
theoretical backwards incompatibility or a real one.

-- Ron