   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Matt Gushee wrote:

> Furthermore, whenever the notion of power is involved, we should ask
> just who is empowered, and in what way. One of the objections to XML
> Schema (which I won't lay out in detail here, since it has been raised
> many times in this and other forums) is that XSDL's weight and
> complexity make it an impractical tool for anyone but the sort of large,
> well-funded vendors who perhaps-coincidentally-but-probably-not make up
> the Schema Working Group--with the likely result that everyone else will
> be forced to use the prepackaged Schema-based solutions that those
> vendors provide, whether they are the right tool for the job or not.

This is a real concern. How many relatively complete open source XSLT
implementations are there? Now how many XML Schema implementations?
Obviously XSLT is older than XML Schema but as I recall the history of
XSLT, there was sort of a race of many enthusiastic open source
developers to implement it (often redundantly). Whereas they approach
XML Schema more as medicine. "Everyone tells us we're going to have to
implement this so I guess we had better do that."

XSV is implemented by an XML Schema editor (Henry). It seems that
Apache's implementation was written by IBM employees. Where are the lone
hackers who just find XML Schema interesting and worth implementing?
Where is the equivalent for Michael Kay's Saxon? Ginger's Sablotron?

 Paul Prescod