   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Aaron Skonnard wrote:

>>>If you're implying that individual organizations are playing
>>>politics, then of course I buy that but I find it hard to
>>>believe that representatives from individual organizations
>>>would have the skill to manipulate so many others.
>>>
>>It's not that. Complexity naturally resists commodization. The
>>interdependencies make it hard for those with less resources to
>>write the code. In particular XML Schema processing is no joke to
>>implement...
>>
>>Bill de hÓra
>>

> Agreed. Building distributed systems is not for the faint of heart. In
> the Web service space, we don't need the ad-hoc implementations you're
> alluding to. All major vendors that most distributed application
> developers care about have already stepped up to the plate.

When you say that "we" don't need them, do you mean that users don't
need those implementations, or that the major vendors don't need the
competition from them in the Web service space? If you mean the latter,
I can understand the reasoning behind supporting XSD, XPath 2.0, XSLT
2.0, and XML Query.

Are you sure that the distributed application developers really care
about the vendors and not about the technology that gets delivered?
Their managers might care more about the vendors, but I doubt that the
developers do.

/Fredrik Lindgren