   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

At least one of the working
> groups that has chosen to base work on W3C XML Schema has now
> created a language with a type system that is in conflict
> with itself[2].

For "is" read "was". The issue you reference is now resolved. The XQuery WG, and the formal semantics team in particular, have been doing sterling work to get the query type system properly aligned with XML Schema, and the issue you are quoting was raised while that process was still incomplete.

Michael Kay