   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Aaron Skonnard wrote:

> Agreed. HTTP and HTML were not trivial to implement.

Oh really? So I guess I'm hallucinating when I see client and server
implementations of HTTP each in less than a thousand lines of code. HTML
has *grown* to be difficult to implement (in its entirety) but it was
not so in the early days.

> ... Major vendors
> embraced them and made it happen. Before the public had easy-to-use
> browsers, they had no idea what resources were available to them. I
> don't remember many successful ad-hoc browser implementations.

What is an "ad hoc" implementation? Was Netscape a "major vendor"? NCSA?
CERN?

> > The Web didn't happen because the W3C and/or the major vendors made it
> > happen, it HAPPENED.  ...
>
> I completely agree. It was the *vendors* that made it happen.

That is the most bizarre interpretation of history I've ever heard. How
could Netscape have had a stratospheric IPO if it were not the fact that
the Web was already an exciting information resource.

 Paul Prescod