   Re: [xml-dev] (more details) embedding xml schema in an instance doc

Eddie Robertsson <erobertsson@allette.com.au> writes:

> Hi Henry,
>
> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
>
> > "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:
> >
> > > The schema For Schema contains a number of issues. Any parser that
> > > validates it is broken.
> >
> > All fixed as of last week, as far as I and the XML Schema WG know.
> > See the published errata for details [1].  Any that remain, please let
> > us know!
>
> Thanks for the update!

You're welcome.

> I've tested the new version of the schema against the following XML
> Schema processors: Xerces (2.0.1), XML Spy 4.4, MSXML4 SP1 and SQC
> with the following results:

Thanks for doing this!  You can add XSV, no problems, not surprisingly :-).

> XML Spy 4.4
> --------------
> No problems
>
> SQC
> ------
> No problems. (You have to add the namespace declaration for the xml:
> prefix but that's not really related to XML Schema validation)
>
> MSXML4 SP1:
> -----------------
> All the built-in simpleType definitions that derive from xs:anySimpleType have the
> following error:
>
> "Whitespace constraining facet is prohibited"
>
> This was commented on by Dare in a previous post to this list.

Can't find the reference, it didn't go to the public comments list
(www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org) as far as I can tell.

> Xerces 2.0.1
> --------------
> Xerces has four problems with the schema:
>
> [1] (1 of 43) Schema problem: Unknown base type 'xs:anySimpleType'
> for a type 'string' (For simpleType name="string")

That's just bogus, it's required to be present by the REC.

> [2] (2 of 43) Schema problem: Facet 'whiteSpace' is not allowed by
> this type. (For simpleType name="string")
>
> Both these errors occur for all the simpleTypes that derive from
> xs:anySimpleType
>
> [3] For the complexType "attributeGroupRef" the following errors are
> reported:
>
> (40 of 43) Schema problem: Group's occurrence range is not a valid
> restriction of base group's occurrence range.  (41 of 43) Schema
> problem: Error for type 'attributeGroupRef'.  The particle of the
> type is not a valid restriction of the particle of the base.
>
> [4] For the complexType "groupRef" the following errors are
> reported:
>
> (42 of 43) Schema problem: Group's occurrence range is not a valid
> restriction of base group's occurrence range.  (43 of 43) Schema
> problem: Error for type 'groupRef'.  The particle of the type is not
> a valid restriction of the particle of the base.
>
> If you would analyze the above results with regards to the
> validation results I would say that the following would be the case:
>
> 1) Since Xerces is the only processor to report the errors [1], [3]
> and [4] above my guess would be that these are a bug in Xerces and
> can be reported as such.

I agree.

> 2) The Xerces bug [2] above is reported by both Xerces and MSXML4 so
> this probably needs clarification from the WG.

As far as I can see the only basis for such an error message is in a
non-normative comment about derivations based on the simple ur-type.
I'll request a clarification from the WG, but as it stands I think
e.g. SQC is right and MSXML and Xerces are wrong on this one.

ht