   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Aaron,

You've generalized my understanding of XML Schema with distributed
systems. In any case this is really about middleware/eai and the
web banging into each other, not about distributed programming in
the large.

If the standards we have today for middleware are as a result of
innate difficulty of the problem space and the web is indeed
functionally trivial as opposed to simple, I put it that the major
vendors wouldn't dream of underwriting a port to the web, nor would
consumers push for it. The innate difficulty of middleware, and
specifically non-interoperability, has come in large order from the
vendors. If anything middleware vendors have being resisting web
technologies chomping away at their lunches for some time now, but
it appears to be a losing battle.

You mention all major vendors that most distributed application
developers care about are trying to square their systems with web
technologies. I'll take that shift as suggesting that much of the
difficulty in the past has been arbitrary enough. It's reasonable
to question whether this generation of WS standards are as simple
and well thought out as they could be. If they are then it's all
good, but appeals to vendor force don't make it so.

Bill de hÓra