   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

At 12:26 PM 6/11/2002 -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
>Maybe publishing people can
>use DTDs, RELAX NG, or Schematron, and let the Web Services crowd have
>their bloated XSD. As long as they don't force everyone to use it.

I don't think "as long as they don't force everyone to use it" is nearly
adequate here.

There's a fundamental naming problem with XSD - it's called "XML Schema",
it's published by the W3C, and it's frequently described as a core part of
"XML".

If the W3C renames it "Type-based Description for XML Serializations" and
lets it lurk on the margins of their spec, then maybe there's some hope for
your suggestion.

In the meantime, I don't think there's much cause for those of us who find
W3C XML Schema sorely lacking (especially for data, which it claims to do
well) to be so charitable.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue